Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Moment Of Silence

Last night a tornado swept through the Little Sioux Boy Scout Camp killing 4 scouts and injuring about 40 others. I was a Boy Scout. I like to think I still am a Boy Scout in many ways. I achieved the rank of Eagle Scout, the highest rank achievable in the Boy Scouts. I can't tell you how many times I camped at Little Sioux over the 6 years that I was a scout. It would be safe to say that I camped there more often than any other campground.
As I watched the news of the tragedy and they showed pictures of the camp, memories of camping trips flooded back. It's been about 18 years since I've been camping and some of my fondest memories were made at that camp.
I'd like to take this opportunity to offer my condolences to the families and friends of those boys who were killed last night. As a father I can, thankfully, only imagine what it would feel like to lose a child.
Here is a link to an Omaha World Herald article with details of each of the boys.
I hope that this tragedy does not in any way discourage someone from allowing their son to join the Boy Scouts. I know that it shaped my life in a positive way and I am thankful for both the moral guidance and life skills that I learned as a Boy Scout.

No comments: